The Christmas and New Year period is a popular time to head off on well-deserved annual leave.
Ensuring that your clients are cared for while you are away takes a bit of planning, but we are here to give you some tips to make it as stress-free as possible.
1. Advance notice
- Poster in the waiting room
- Post a message on your website or other social media
- During appointments leading up to your break provide instructions to clients and family on what to do if they require attention:
– Call the midwife covering for you;
– See their GP;
– Present to the hospital where the birth is booked; and
– Present to the emergency department of a hospital.
2. Advise your colleagues
- Identify someone you can rely on to cover you for required consultations or if there is an urgent matter
- Handover and access to health records is paramount.
3. Handover care
- Face-to-face with colleague covering
- In writing
– Ensure health records are up to date; and
– Provide written instructions where required.
Holidays are an important factor in maintaining your work/life balance and for preparing for the coming year. Taking these few steps will give you peace of mind while you are enjoying a break.