The COVID-19 vaccination program which is underway in Australia has its challenges, particularly given the concerns that have emerged with the AstraZeneca vaccine.
COVID-19 vaccinations are not only an issue for the practices and hospitals delivering the vaccines. GPs and specialists will be asked questions by their patients or immunisers about eligibility and suitability, particularly following the change of advice on 9 April 2021 relating to the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in patients aged under 50.
The key challenge – keeping on top of information
As a practice, keeping on top of information and updates is key. Regular updates on COVID-19 vaccination come from a range of sources, including Government, regulators and peak bodies.
As a practice, you might want to consider:
- Making one person responsible for receiving and regularly checking for updated information
- Keeping key documents in one central place where all staff in the practice can access it
- Sharing short updates with staff about new or updated requirements.
To help you with this, MIGA continues to regularly update its Q&A on COVID-19 vaccinations and other pandemic issues – www.miga.com.au/coronavirus. Further resources are listed below.
- Australian Government – Information for COVID-19 vaccination providers
- TGA – COVID-19 vaccinations
- Healthdirect – COVID-19 vaccination
- NCIRS – COVID-19 vaccines: Frequently asked questions
– COVID-19 Vaccine GP assessment item numbers and explanatory notes
– COVID-19 Vaccine Suitability Assessment Service factsheet
- Fair Work Australia – COVID-19 vaccinations and the workplace
- Safe Work Australia – Healthcare care > Vaccination
If there’s something you remain uncertain about, MIGA’s lawyers, in the Legal Services Department are here to help.